Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Best Seat in the House - Summer Shack Restauran

Let's start this journey with the the Summer Shack Restaurant in Boston's Back Bay area.

I was recently in the Boston area for work and got a recommendation for dinner one evening. It turned out to be a pretty amazing night. I hadn't planned on anything other than a quiet night of eating lobster and having a good glass of wine. But it turned into so much more.

First of all...this restaurant is a fairly casual establishment. The bathrooms are basic, clean and fit the bill. They "jazzed" up the space a bit by installing the classic 3x6 white subway tile in a vertical pattern around the room. Kudos to the designer for changing it up a bit.

 
After scoping out the restrooms I took up my post at the restaurant's bar to start my feast. I started my dining experience with a delicious plate of fried clams, a glass of Pinot Noir and a basket of bread. My bartender that evening was pretty amazing. She knew I was torn between the clams (so worth it!) and the clam chowder, so she even went the extra mile to bring me a tiny tasting bowl of chowder. Yum!

Now that's normally enough to send a girl into a food coma. Not me! I'm fearless and I sprinted onward to my main course, chef Jasper's Pan Roasted 1.5 lb lobster. Oh yes people, I went there. Wouldn't you? It's covered in bourbon, chervil & chives and comes complete with a bib and a bucket so you can dig in and get dirty. Which is exactly what I did. But first I started up a conversation with a woman just a couple seats away. After finding out I am from Chicago she proclaimed me her Chicago sister and before leaving paid for my entire meal! What a wonderful treat while in a strange town. She just wanted me to have a good impression of Boston. And all I know is her name, Julie, and that she lives somewhere around Boston. I hope you contact me Boston Julie! You're generosity continues to touch me.

Hands dripping with lobster and sauce I sat on my bar stool stunned, mouth wide open.  After such a generous happening I had to order a slice of coconut cream pie to complete wonderful night. I enjoyed my pie and drove the world's cutest car (a new Fiat!) back to my hotel room. To this day I am still in awe of my stranger in Boston.


I hope the next time you're in Boston you check out the Summer Shack Restaurant. It was a delicious meal. Though, you may not have my lobster benefactor sitting a couple seats away.

Enjoy!

No comments: